Saturday, December 26, 2009

Made with Chocolate

Unlike me, my six year old son is dark brown and he is forever comparing his colour to mine and his other fair skinned friends.

"Amma, remember Jamal in Slum Dog Millionaire, he was dark skinned like me when small but turned peach skinned when he became big, so I will also become peach coloured when I become big", he said. At times like this when he is always thinking up ways to hope for a fair skin later in life, I sit down and explain all about how skin colour does not matter and how your brains matter blah blah blah. This was getting me nowhere and then I told him the story of how dark skins are made. 
You see God makes us out of mud and breathes life into us (the only kind he is familiar with is sand which is plenty in the desert).  God makes people out of golden sand, which makes people fair skinned but some people he loves more than the others and when he makes them he adds chocolate to make them sweet and depending upon how much God loves each person, the quantity of chocolate added varies. The more He loves someone, the more chocolate He adds and the darker skinned the person is. 

The only problem is when my son confidently repeats this story to everyone and the fair skinned children start crying and their mothers end up having to make up some other story to stop the crying. Then again all children including my son are always licking him to see if he really tastes sweet or like chocolate. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Outdoors & Nature blogs
Add to Technorati Favorites