Thursday, December 17, 2009

Being nice sucks

When i had just joined AND Data in Pune, I started on a salary of Rs. 3500/- It was a small salary, almost like no salary in a city like Pune where everything is expensive. The vegetables are sold in units of "Pav" which is quarter kilos and usually cost as much as a kilo in other places. Anyway, I was too poor and had to get away from home and my family who were driving me mad. At AND Data, breakfast and lunch as provided by the company so my food problem was mostly taken care of and for dinner I would pretend that I was on a diet to lose weight. It worked or at least I think it worked, because no one commented on it. But i used to be so hungry then, so very hungry that I thought I was going mad. Then I found out that bread did not cost much and with a packet of cheese that I rationed at one slice a day, I managed to partly silence my empty stomach. During that time too my parents thought I ought to be sending money home and i did, every month around Rs. 1000/- after which I had nothing with me till salary came next month. I used a pay around Rs. 700 0r 800 as rent and remaining Rs. 300 was what was left for food. As weekends were holidays, I had to buy food then and I subsisted on a diet of rice and yogurt.

That was ten years back and even now my parents are waiting every month for the check to arrive which I youngest sister has been paying for the last 6 years. She will stop this month because she has lost her job and then what. How do people turn into leaches like this after a time I can't understand. All these years nearly twenty years now, one of us daughters have fed them, clothed them and taken care of their medical needs and now the excuse, theirs and the worlds, is that they are old and need to be taken care of. My mother is 64 now and father passed away a couple of years back at 64. So from the age of 44 and 47 they have depended on us to provide for them. And I am finally fed up with being the dutiful Indian child who takes care of people who just wants to bleed me dry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Outdoors & Nature blogs
Add to Technorati Favorites