Thursday, May 24, 2007

God and His plans

I feel a little smug and satisfied today. God struck for me yesterday or so I think. Since our marriage six years back, the balance has always tilted in his favour. I know it is the same in all marriages, the man has more power but in ours, he is in power and I am just a menial servant with no real identity, hopes or anything resembling life. We go on vacation and I am not allowed to visit my parents but expected to bow low and scrape before his mother and the all powerful sisters, who are allowed to scream, blame and literally make life hell for all around them. When my parish church has a feast, I am made to beg and beg to be allowed to visit only to be denied and left feeling hopeless and dead. But he ensures we are there for all his church feasts. My attitude in the beginning was anger but slowly I became resigned to fate and consoled myself with the fact that I took on this crucifix and I need to carry it to the end.
This year as his brother was going to India at the time of the church feast, he decided he would not go on vacation at the same time, and rather go during Thom’s school vacation. So all was set, then as the days for his brother’s vacation approached so did his problems. Then at the last moment, the brother was not allowed to go and suddenly during the feast, the brother was not there at home. We had a party yesterday and he got drunk and after that he was very upset, opening up. He was upset that this was the first feast when neither his father, his brother nor himself was able to attend the feast, the first feast when his mother had to be without any of her men around her for the feast.
Well it was almost like my fantasy come true. Each time I begged him to let me go home, he used to smirk. It was like I was being avenged for the times when he refused to let me go and my parents had to do without me even when they knew I was just a hour away from them. I know it is a small thing but to him this is a big deal. Every time we have guests and they enquire after his mother, he tells them, “My mother has her daughters to stand and support her like pillars on her either side, and she does not live looking up to us. Her daughters take care of her.” Very proud, that his sisters had their noses in all our matters and had full control of everything. So what changed now? For me this has been special, because I was able to attend the Ettu Nombu perunal in our church and he was not able to attend the perunal in his. This is the opposite of what usually happens. Maybe God has decided things need to change and like they say in Hindi, “In God’s house there is delay not darkness”(Bhangwan ke ghar mae dher hai andher nahi).



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Outdoors & Nature blogs
Add to Technorati Favorites