Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Button fingers

“See I learned to button my shirt. Watch.”
I sit down and watch as Thom buttons his shirt. It is a long process, the button keeps slipping from his fingers and he grows frustrated after each failed attempt. Fifteen minutes later he has success with one button and there are three more to go. I prepare for a long wait. But as I watch I begin to appreciate the level of dexterity needed for the process. He had learned to use the computer mouse in ten minutes but the shirt buttons had been giving him a hard time. But he has mastered it at last and the look on his face showed he felt like the king of the world.
He is all of three years and 7 months old and cannot wait to be independent, he likes to dress himself, decides what to wear and feeds himself.
“See all the buttons are down.”
“Wow!! You are a very clever boy.”
“Let me show you again” He promptly undoes all the buttons and then starts buttoning up again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Outdoors & Nature blogs
Add to Technorati Favorites