Thursday, October 19, 2006

Stereotypes

“Change the channel, I want to watch Cartoon network.”

“Sorry, we don’t get cartoon network anymore. Watch ejunior.”

“No, I like Cartoon Network.”

“But you are picking up bad words from Cartoon Network.”

“I want Cartoon Network.”

“Check out this channel.” I change to Fun channel another kid’s channel.

“No, give me cartoon network.”

“Maybe this channel”, I change to MBC 3.

“I want Cartoon Network.”

I end up giving in and return to cooking lunch.

“Stupid.”

“See you are using bad words, which is why I don’t like you watching cartoon network.”

“It wasn’t me; it was the old man in the cartoon. He was calling his dog stupid dog.”

“Okay but don’t say stupid again.”

“Is lunch ready?”

“Yes in a moment.”

“Is lunch ready?”

Soon lunch is over and Joe is back from office. We prepare for our afternoon siesta.

I don’t want to sleep. I am watching TV.”

No, You haven’t had enough sleep in the last few days, so switch off the TV and come to bed.”

No, I don’t want to sleep.”

I go over, switch off the TV and pick him up and carry him to the bed.

“I don’t like amma.”

“But you are my darling jeevanette jeevan.”

He smiles. Then I tell him that I am going to climb on top off Appa.

“Help, Help Amma is climbing on top of me, Help help.”

“Dishuum, Dishuum. I am sending the spider man’s web to stop her.”

Soon we have an action hero on the bed fighting off evil amma from crushing poor Appa. A few well-placed punches and amma is thrown off Appa. Then a few tins of spinach in true Popeye style and he has recouped his strength to take on the world’s evil.

The actions over we lie quietly for sometime. He watches my face closely and says, “ You are growing a beard, and you are becoming uncle.”

I am pleased that he has started to tell the difference between male and female, though in this case it was more a reference to unwanted female facial hair.

I fall asleep and they play some more before getting up to watch TV. Then Thom comes and tells me, “Amma make tea for Appa.”

“Ask Appa to make tea for me .”

He looks surprised, “ But you are tea making person and Appa is the TV watching person.”

How well we end up training even three year old to think stereotypically!!!!

Tea and some snacks over, I get a call from Binnu saying they are coming to visit and they stay till 10.00, so we into another late night. This week has been one of late bed times for Thom. Next week we will make for the lost sleep during Id holidays.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Outdoors & Nature blogs
Add to Technorati Favorites