Saturday, December 13, 2008

Flowering season

The asparagus beans have a lot of beans on them now. Since they are self pollinating, there is little work once the flowers start opening. I planted very few this year, as this was a trial run so this year’s pods will all be dried for seeds for next year’s crop.
I think this year also I planted tomatoes wrong. I must have planted them late, as it is already tomato season here and my plants are still small seedlings, not full grown. I think they should have been planted at least in the first week of august.
The globe amaranths are all flowering. They are summer plants in Kerala, sturdy and drought resistant in the heat, but here they are winter plants. Maybe it is because the intensity of light they receive in the summer here is very very high compared to tree filled shady Kerala. And the winter sun, weak light and shorter days seem to have triggered flowering. Well it just taught me to let the plants to be in summer. Give enough water and keep them from dying and they will do well in winter.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Outdoors & Nature blogs
Add to Technorati Favorites